Sunday, February 6, 2011

Superbowl Movie Rundown!

The Superbowl is still going on, and while I watch the game I figured I would bring up some of the epic trailers we're seeing for summer 2011.

First thing I want to bring up is Transformers 3.  I'm not a huge fan of the first two installments, but what they have always promised are mind blowing special effects.  And the newest trailer managed to raise the bar even higher.  We see Decepticons invading Earth and laying siege to our cities, while Optimus Prime starts tearing apart enemy robots left and right.  I wouldn't expect the franchise to suddenly gain though provoking writing, but the action sequences should keep crowds happy.  This trailer convinced me to check out a movie I had mostly written off.

We also have a new Thor trailer, which is mostly a shortened version of the theatrical trailer with a few new scenes here and there.  The Thor trailers have been just alright so far.  All of the individual scenes are fine and the visuals are incredible, but the trailers are just missing something.  Part of the problem is that it might be a bit too ecletric, shifting from scene to scene too quickly.  Giving us a solid chunk of a single action sequence might be just what we need, or something truly epic to set the tone.  I still think this movie will rock, but Marvel needs to start communicating with the mainstream audiences more effectively.



Cowboys and Aliens continues to impress with the overwhelming audacity of it's premise (and title!) and overwhelming star power.  It don't know exactly what the finished product will be, but I can't help but shake off how fun the whole thing feels.

Speaking of Aliens, JJ Abrams' Super 8 continues to confound audiences by showing close to nothing.  I know the guy likes to build mystery, but without any actual substance I just don't care about it.  It feels too bland right now, so I'm struggling to get excited about it.

And I saved the best for last.  I'll break down the trailer more completely after the game, but Captain America completely blew me away.  The whole thing feels like this fantastical fusion between Saving Private Ryan and Raiders of the Lost Ark, and I'm 100% on board with Chris Evans as the eponymous hero.  Everything from the visual style to Stanley Tucci as the wizened mentor felt....right.  I've never seen anything quite like it.  Now I'm simply dying to see more, and 2011 is looking to be one hell of a summer for movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment