Thursday, February 10, 2011

First Class Trailer Hits!

So here we go, the trailer to the latest installment of the X-Men.  Take a look!



My overall thoughts?  Looks alright.  To be honest, there isn't too much to go off of here.  It's a 2 minute trailer.  The first 30 seconds don't do much other than remind us that it's a prequel.  Not much to go off of there.  We then have JFK's speech from the Cuban Missile Crisis as we show clips of each character.  Is this supposed to get a non-comic fan excited?  Sure, most comic book geeks will be ecstatic to see more legends on screen, but unless you have a pre-existing interest you're just seeing close ups of a bunch of different people you know nothing about.  We then see a couple of clips of the team using their powers, and also some wartime action on Cuba.  There are a few sour notes here and there.  Mystique's transformation sequence looked a little shoddy, and I don't know what's going on with Beast.  Professor X's last line to Magneto was both cliche and delivered pretty poorly.  But those are minor things in the big picture I suppose.

So none of the footage is actually "bad".  I just have no idea what the hell this movie is about, and I've been the following the movie since the beginning.  I understand that we'll see how Charles and Magneto go their separate ways, but what does the Cuban Missile Crisis have to do with anything?  I'm going to assume the red teleporting dude (Azazel) is a main villain, even though we don't know anything about him. Simply put, I don't feel any suspense watching this.  The Cap trailer got me pumped up and excited, showing me exactly what the movie was about and boasted some high octane moments to boot.  First Class lacked that shock value.  I'm looking forward to Michael Fassbender as Magneto, and there's so much potential with that character it would be a shame for them to mess it up.  But I'm not exactly rushing to go see this movie the day it comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment