Thursday, February 17, 2011

A New Wonder Woman For a New Era

The Wonder Woman TV show that everyone though was dead is very much alive, and even has even chosen it's star.  Adrianne Palicki, star of the TV show Friday Night Lights and a modest collection of movies, will be playing the iconic hero on NBC.  She seems like a good enough choice.  She's gorgeous, and someone who is at least trying to become a good actress.


But to me, it didn't really matter who they chose.  This project just doesn't seem like something I'd be interested in.  I don't care about Wonder Woman in the slightest, and the idea of having her being a business executive struggling with her personal life and vigilantism doesn't seem like the best take on the character.  It comes off as terribly cliche, without any real sense of originality or excitement.

And while we're at it, what does this mean for the long rumored Wonder Woman movie?  I can't see it being a good sign.  I don't think Warners wants two high profile live action versions of the same character out at the same time, and I would guess they went with the TV show over the movie.  Since DC comics is supposed to have a cohesive, unified media effort, I would imagine they had a choice to make and passed on the movie option.  I mean, they've been trying to make that thing for 20 years, and it's little wonder why they would just go with the TV show.

Fun fact though, Palicki will appear alongside Thor actor Chris Hemsworth in the upcoming Red Dawn remake, which will be released once MGM manages to not be bankrupt.  Funny, I always thought Thor and Wonder Woman would make for one hell of a power couple.

No comments:

Post a Comment