Thursday, March 24, 2011

Journey Into Spider Island

Big things are on the horizon for Spider-Man.  Kicking off in August is a major story called Spider Island, which somehow involves Spidery's powers being transferred to almost all of Manhattan. 



It's still hard to say what the cause of the catastrophe will be, but my guess is that Doc Ock and the Sinister Six will be behind it somehow.  We know Ock has something planned (something..sinister?!?) for old Webhead, and he's one of the few villains who could pull off such a huge scheme.  Although I don't know how a master criminal makes his life easier by giving the average joe the powers of the guy who beats you up every time you show your face in public.  It would be like Two-Face setting up shop in Krypton.

I'm a big fan of Dan Slott's recent work on the Amazing Spider-Man, but this story sounds a bit off.  The whole island of Manhattan getting Spidey's powers?  I think when something like that happens, you start calling in the Avengers and Fantastic Four rather than Spider-Man.  I think the hero is at his best when confronting smaller, more contained threats rather than something with this kind of scale.  Because I trust Slott, I'm willing to give this event a chance, but I'm really not that excited by it.  It sounds a bit gimmicky and shallow, and even the title sounds a bit too retro for it's own good.  I think I'll stick with Fear Itself and War of the Green Lanterns for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment