Thursday, March 17, 2011

Darren Aronofsky Off Wolverine?!?!

This is downright disappointing news.  Darren Aronofsky was all lined up to direct the Wolverine, which I was hoping to be THE definitive take on Marvel's biggest mutant.  Aronofsky has earned huge critical acclaim with the Wrestler and Black Swan, and is arguably the most artistic director in Hollywood right now.  I was incredibly excited to see someone with that style take on brutal little furball like Wolverine.  While most of Marvel's movies are aiming for a nice blend of fun action and maturity, it felt like Wolverine was firmly going into darker territory.  And with this character and this director, I thought this movie even had a shot at rivaling the Dark Knight himself.









So now we have to find a new director.  While I'm certain there is someone out there to take on Fox's latest X-installment, I'm a big fan of Aronofsky and can't imagine another director piquing my interest quite like him.  I wouldn't say it's time to abandon ship just yet though.  With a solid script and strong leading man, the movie still has two key ingredients for success.  And if Aronofsky was able to at least hammer out some of the basic themes and elements, perhaps it's possible for someone to pick up where he left off.  What I'm trying to say, my dear readers, is not to give up hope on this one just yet.  Still, I can't help but feel decidedly less interested without a visionary like Darren Aronofsky on board.

No comments:

Post a Comment