Monday, January 3, 2011

NBC's Own Superhero, The Cape

After Iron Man and The Dark Knight rocked the box office in 2008, it's been no secret that everyone wants in on the comic book movie superhero deal.  Even if it means making a whole new hero.  I suppose I shouldn't be so skeptical of TV getting a brand new hero.  Not leaving room for new creations isn't fair I guess.  But the Cape?  Seriously?


The show is set to premiere this Sunday on NBC.  The main character is just an honest cop who's been framed for a series of murders, before being attacked himself and left for dead.  Brought back to health by a circus ringleader, our hero then dons some kind of mystical cape to fight crime and clear his name.  I don't want to sound like some whiny internet critic, but really guys?  That's the most generic origin I've ever heard.  I'm pretty confident at least 5 characters from the 90's started out in that exact same way.  And calling himself "The Cape"?  That's either completely unimaginative or genre-aware and deconstructionist, neither of which are acceptable.

The one thing piquing my interest is the fact that Keith David will play the circus ringleader.  Fanboys will also rejoice at the inclusion of Summer Glau.  Still, I'm just not excited for this.  I do think that bringing a superhero to TV can work.  While I would never ask for a Thor or Iron Man live action series, someone like Luke Cage or Green Arrow might have better luck.  And I would rather see someone other than a network, like AMC or HBO, put some serious resources into a series.  But until then, maybe we can give the Cape a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment