Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Breakout Performance For Chris Hemsworth

Early reviews for Thor as slowly coming in, and I made a solemn vow I would do my best not to read them.  Well I tried my best, and read the first batch, just to make sure the movie wasn't terrible.  I've been waiting for this movie for three years, so please don't judge me for that.  And so far, I'm hearing nothing but great things.  That being said, I'm going to keep a fresh mind going in and we can't judge the movie on the limited number of reviews we have so far.  There is one thing I do want to talk about though.  Despite the stacked cast of heavy hitters and quality talent, one person is getting more consistent praise than anyone else.  Who is it?  That would be the movie's star, Chris Hemsworth.

Someone that pretty should not be able to act.  It's just not fair.
Now, from day one I've thought this was the right guy.  And I'm not talking about the first trailer, I'm talking about since he was cast.  But next to respected actors like Anthony Hopkins, Stellan Skarsgard or Natalie Portman?  Surely the best we could hope for in this former soap-star was someone who could hold is own, look badass, and not embarrass the character too much.  Instead, we're hearing close to the opposite.  Every review has remarked about just how perfect Hemsworth is as the God of Thunder.  Not only is he the right casting choice, but he's brought the right sense of life and vigor a rampaging Norse deity needs.  We'll have to judge for ourselves when the movie hits the rest of the globe, but if I've been supporting Hemsworth this far I don't think I'll be disappointed.

Which brings me to my next point of how stacked the Avengers truly is as a cast.  Your newest, most untested actor is getting critical acclaim.  If you have to say one thing and one thing only about the studio, it's that they are pretty much flawless at casting.  Marvel has taken a colossal risk with all their franchises, but if the good reviews for Thor keep coming in and Captain America can deliver, they might just be able to pull this wacky, ridiculous, wonderful plan off.

No comments:

Post a Comment