Thursday, May 5, 2011

Thor Quick Take

That.  Was.  Awesome.

The full analysis will be up soon, but that was one fun movie and a great midnight showing.  I don't know where to start.  It has to be with the perfect cast.  Chris Hemsworth is nothing short of brilliant as Thor, bringing infectious levels of charisma and charm to the part.  And, dear god, he's built like a truck.  I think it's impossible to say anything bad about his performance.  And it wasn't all gusto, there was some really well done subtleties and looks that made the character come alive.  Tom Hiddleston as Loki was everything I hoped he would be, and Anthony Hopkins was an amazing Odin.  The Warriors Three, Heimdall being a beast, and even the human characters we all perfectly cast.

The action and special effects were wonderful.  Thor's rampage on Jotunheim was incredible, and watching Thor and Loki battle it out was completely believable.  And it was all bound together by a masterful sense of humor.  I laughed throughout the whole thing, and I think I must have said "Oh my god, Thor is such a dick" every five minutes. 

The film was not without it's flaws.  Thor's time on Earth is a bit choppy, and isn't and feels a bit mashed up.  One of the flaws of an origin story is that you have to introduce the character, set up the conflict, and then finally bring the action.  I think if the sequel could bring a more unified script, it could be something bigger entirely.  Despite the flaws, you will go to this movie and have a great time.  It's just so much fun.  It will leave you wanting more, which is both praise and slight criticism.  But say hello to the definitive take on Thor, the most unified, cohesive view of the character yet.  And I can't wait to see him next to the rest of the Avengers.  I'm excited.  And now I need to go pass out.

No comments:

Post a Comment